SkyWater Search Partners has been fully retained by The Toro Company on their Corporate Controller position.
The Toro Company is looking for a technical yet dynamic leader for the position of Corporate Controller. This is a corporate leadership position located in Bloomington, MN. The position reports directly to Renee Peterson, Chief Financial Officer, and is responsible all aspects of accounting for The Toro Company (TTC). Our successful candidate will possess personal and professional integrity, strong analytical kills, and a commitment to collaboration, integration, and company growth. We invite candidates from diverse backgrounds to include those with progressively responsible technical and accounting leadership within manufacturing, distribution, machinery or a combination of all or some of the above.
As Corporate Controller you will manage a team of 40 employees, and be responsible for all aspects of accounting for The Toro Company (TTC). You will serve as the primary owner of U.S. GAAP accounting and work closely with finance and business leadership to ensure U.S. GAAP guidance and company accounting policies are followed consistently. You will also have significant involvement with corporate executives and divisional management. Interacts regularly with the TTC Audit Committee and external auditors.
- Ensure worldwide compliance with corporate accounting policies, U.S. GAAP and statutory requirements, including customer contracts, business proposals and ongoing customer engagement.
- Lead the monthly/quarterly close and external reporting process, including establishing standards for journal entries, account reconciliations and ensuring compliance.
- Provide leadership for quarterly SEC external reporting requirements, including disclosure schedules and miscellaneous accounting matters.
- Research technical accounting guidance for business specific scenario analysis and prepare white papers. Collaborate with business leadership and finance teams on significant business opportunities.
- Participate in or lead merger and acquisition diligence and integration activities:
- Direct the financial due diligence process of potential acquisitions. Provide appropriate financial analysis and audits identifying benefits and risks associated with each business venture.
- Responsible for all aspects of the acquired company purchase accounting, including working with external accounting firms and the company’s external auditor.
- Provide guidance to business teams with respect to joint venture structures, including related accounting and reporting matters.
- Ensure internal controls are designed and operating effectively, identify deficiencies, develop corrective action plans and continue monitoring for timely remediation and closure.
- Conduct ongoing balance sheet reviews across the company.
- Provide support for internal and external audit.
- Review significant transactions with external auditors and address questions/observations.
- Assist TTC’s CFO with special projects.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance
- MBA required
- CPA or equivalent designation is required Professional Experience:
- 25+ years of direct accounting / financial analysis experience in progressively responsible roles, including 10 or more years of experience managing a professional team of accountants
- Experience as a public company controller or higher responsibilities
- “Big 4” or National accounting firm audit experience preferred
- Excellent technical knowledge and research skills in US GAAP
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with ability to quickly and positively influence all levels of the organization; ability to deliver succinct executive communication.
- Strong leadership skills, consensus building capability, influencing skills and ability to gain credibility with other functional areas; team player with demonstrated ability to lead change in a complex global organization.
- Strong relationship management skills with the ability to develop solid working relationships across organizational or functional boundaries.
- Think creatively, anticipate problems and opportunities, develop and drive vision for continuous improvement
- Strong project management skills and experience developing, driving and implementing new financial systems and business processes Critical Success Factors:
- Prior experience not only in technical accounting but as an active business partner
- International company experience
- M&A/Post Integration experience
- Demonstrated success as a participant in Investor Relations
- Proven collaborative and deliberate leadership style
- Prior business intelligence systems experience
- Specific interest in Toro as an organization
ABOUT SKYWATER SEARCH
Start with your Short List
Led by a group of seasoned search industry professionals, SkyWater Search Partners brings new focus to a novel concept, “Short List Search.” Our purpose is to leave a lasting impression on the clients we serve by providing individuals who will make a measurable difference in their business. We strive to consistently deliver great results to our clients in a very timely manner.
Our practice areas are led by highly experienced executive recruiters who take great care in fully understanding client requirements and candidate qualifications.
• Accounting and Finance
• Information Technology
• Sales and Marketing
• Human Resources (HR)
• Supply Chain
• Consumer Package Goods (CPG)
Founded on long-standing relationships and hundreds of successful placements throughout the Twin Cities business community, SkyWater Search Partners is a proven resource for clients and candidates looking to quickly and confidently explore their “short list” of best choices. Count on us to find the best people – and the best fit.