Director of Corporate Development (M&A) & Strategy
I have been retained by one of my industry leading public manufacturing clients to find them their Director of Corporate Development (M&A) & Strategy. This leader will be responsible for driving and delivering high impact projects for the enterprise, in partnership with business unit and functional leaders. This role will lead the efforts to develop, communicate and execute company growth initiatives and business development. In addition, this role will identify and evaluate critical strategic priorities and drive these priorities through business planning processes.
This person will be responsible for both M&A activities as well as strategy and will be involved in all aspects of the M&A process including the heavy lifting of leading the due diligence process, being the primary point of contact on negotiations with investment banks along with presenting potential acquisition opportunities to the internal BD committee.
This person will work with the hiring manager to proactively build external relationships with leadership teams of target companies as well as investment banking firms so that when they are ready to do a transaction, my client is either the only company that they call or one of the first that they call. 75% of this job is Business Development (M&A) in nature and 25% is strategy support.
- Lead a systemic, coordinated approach in identifying, responding to, and evaluating acquisition opportunities, new business and partnership opportunities that support growth, create value for customers and stakeholders, and diversify revenue sources through prioritization of key initiatives, financial and business case modeling, as well as market and competitive assessments.
- Leverage a network of relationships with partners, potential partners, acquisition targets, competitors and investors for unique opportunity identification and transaction execution.
- Develop and implement plans for managing and executing deals through due diligence, negotiation, communication, and reporting activities.
- Drive strategic initiatives on behalf of the enterprise, including market entry, growth, portfolio, and acquisition strategies.
- Define and help execute the strategic planning process for the enterprise, including long range planning, strategic planning, and strategy development.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Cultural fit is vital. They hire people whom are humble, hungry, and smart. The hire will need to be willing to roll up their sleeves and be hands on while being excited about the journey of building something special. This person will need a minimum of 5 years of experience doing M&A and strategy related work for a public manufacturing company, an investment banking firm, or management consulting company where they have a track record of participating in and completing multiple deals vs. having no experience doing a deal. Analytical skills and relationship building skills are important to the hiring manager as their strategy process is not excessively heavy in terms of processes. As such, the corporate development experience will outweigh strategy experience. They don’t want to get into a situation where the company outgrows the person. Global M&A experience would be a nice plus for this person to have as well as deal size of $100 million or larger.
- 6+ years in management consulting, corporate strategy, corporate development, or related field required; experience within a public company strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience required; MBA strongly preferred
- Proven success leading and executing on complex cross-functional strategic efforts and initiatives
- Successful track record delivering on M&A deals that are both complex and sizable in scale
ABOUT SKYWATER SEARCH
Start with your Short List
Led by a group of seasoned search industry professionals, SkyWater Search Partners brings new focus to a novel concept, “Short List Search.” Our purpose is to leave a lasting impression on the clients we serve by providing individuals who will make a measurable difference in their business. We strive to consistently deliver great results to our clients in a very timely manner.
Our practice areas are led by highly experienced executive recruiters who take great care in fully understanding client requirements and candidate qualifications.
• Accounting and Finance
• Information Technology
• Sales and Marketing
• Human Resources (HR)
• Supply Chain
• Consumer Package Goods (CPG)
Founded on long-standing relationships and hundreds of successful placements throughout the Twin Cities business community, SkyWater Search Partners is a proven resource for clients and candidates looking to quickly and confidently explore their “short list” of best choices. Count on us to find the best people – and the best fit.