Vice President, Assistant Controller
Vice President of Accounting
Reporting to the VP Corporate Controller, the VP of Accounting will be responsible for the accounting operations and controls over financial reporting across The Company. This role will advance our accounting organization by creating and implementing strategies that increase the efficiency and effectiveness of our processes and controls. The VP of Accounting will oversee corporate and business unit teams responsible for consolidation, period end entries, SEC reporting, general ledger, and internal management reporting. This position involves significant interaction with senior executives, external auditors, finance staff, and process owners in other functions. The VP of Accounting will have superior knowledge of technical accounting and accounting operations, and highly developed leadership skills with ability to anticipate and resolve critical issues. Critically, this role will develop and hire personnel to ensure the efficient operation and elevation of the function.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create and implement strategies that advance the Company’s controls over financial reporting. Identify opportunities to drive efficiencies and elevate the impact of the accounting function on our business through improvements to financial reporting, systems, procedures, and policies.
- Oversee the design, implementation and operating effectiveness of internal controls over financial reporting. Ensure consistent application of accounting policies and practices.
- Ensure the accurate compilation, analysis and reporting of accounting data.
- Manage the teams responsible for the month, quarter and year-end closing process and internal reporting and the preparation of SEC reporting documents (10Q / 10K); duties may include:
- Oversight of technical accounting items and implementation of new accounting guidance
- Review and approval of various journal entries and related reconciliations and general accounting and consolidation oversight
- Review of monthly consolidated financial statements and communication of accounting results by explaining variances and anomalies in account balances and discussing the effects with management and the Finance Team;
- Manage the account reconciliation process; reviewing account reconciliations to ensure accuracy, resolving issues or questions about unusual account balances; driving process improvements for the account reconciliation process; and communicating reconciliation results to the Corporate Controller and/or CFO.
- Engage with external and internal auditors to ensure alignment on key areas of financial reporting and to address areas for improvement in our control environment.
- Provide supervision and development opportunities for the team by hiring and training; mentoring; assigning duties; providing recognition; and ensuring diversity awareness.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance and active CPA
- Blended Big 4 and industry required
- 20+ years of experience in accounting roles
- 10+ years of experience managing teams and successfully leading through others
- Possesses strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail is critical to this role
- Strong knowledge of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Has the ability to interact with all levels of management
- Excellent organizational skills
- Working knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley requirements
Submit Your Resume
ABOUT SKYWATER SEARCH
Start with your Short List
Led by a group of seasoned search industry professionals, SkyWater Search Partners brings new focus to a novel concept, “Short List Search.” Our purpose is to leave a lasting impression on the clients we serve by providing individuals who will make a measurable difference in their business. We strive to consistently deliver great results to our clients in a very timely manner.
Our practice areas are led by highly experienced executive recruiters who take great care in fully understanding client requirements and candidate qualifications.
• Accounting and Finance
• Information Technology
• Human Resources
• Supply Chain
• Consumer Package Goods (CPG)
Founded on long-standing relationships and hundreds of successful placements throughout the Twin Cities business community, SkyWater Search Partners is a proven resource for clients and candidates looking to quickly and confidently explore their “short list” of best choices. Count on us to find the best people – and the best fit.