The Purchasing Manager oversees material requirements planning, scheduling, inventory control, warehousing and receiving functions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operate in a strategic capacity to analyze the supply chain to reduce costs.
- Perform value analysis including make vs buy decisions.
- Research, develop and implement best practice techniques to measure, drive and achieve goals for on time delivery, price, quality, and supplier initiatives.
- Develop procedures for and fully utilize the business ERP system to ensure timely and efficient processing of production material requirements.
- Manage supplier relationships, negotiate contract terms and conditions, and resolve conflicts. Monitor vendor performance and negotiate credits for defective vendor parts.
- As a member of one of the largest buying consortiums in the marine industry, interface with the group and leverage the purchasing power and resources available to members.
- Ensure department personnel analyze specifications, supplier capabilities, and market conditions to determine the best source for procurement of supplies, services, and parts.
- Maintain cycle count programs and ensure perpetual inventory accuracy.
- Monitor price variance and maintain standard costs to accurately value inventory.
- Develop, implement and maintain internal control policies and procedures to control and safeguard inventory.
- Maintain the proper inventory levels on all purchased materials and supplies to prevent parts outages that could adversely affect production while at the same time maximizing inventory turns and minimizing obsolescence and freight costs.
- Work closely with production, bills of material and engineering to coordinate the procurement of materials for new models and manage the engineering change notice process related to effectivity dates and the disposition of inventory when changing or adding new parts.
- Responsible for leading all physical inventories and root cause analysis for findings.
- Improve ERP planning and streamline shop floor control.
- Evaluate and select information or other technology solutions to improve tracking and reporting of materials or products distribution, storage, or inventory and process control.
- Coordinate supply chain adjustments with production schedule changes.
Key Skills Required:
- Expertise utilizing enterprise resource planning (ERP) systems such as Infor ERPLX, SAP, Oracle etc. for planning and scheduling.
- Lean manufacturing knowledge and implementation skills to include Just In Time (JIT) and Kanban.
- Minimum 5 years in purchasing or materials management role in a complex vertically integrated manufacturing environment.
- Advanced skills in supply chain systems and techniques including seasoned sourcing and negotiating skills.
- Developed logical and critical thinking skills including the ability to develop, analyze and draw conclusions to problems requiring quantitative results.
- Advanced oral and written communications skills with emphasis on strong customer relationships skills.
Educational Qualifications Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Supply Chain, Materials Management, Business, or similar technical related discipline (APICS certified), plus 8 years’ experience in purchasing and/or materials management, or equivalent education and experience.